Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Baptism

I am not always good with the sensitive emotions. I would much rather make a joke. I almost titled this blog "Slam Dunk" but I changed my mind. Is it really necessary for me to always take the easy way out and make a joke. No, this is a time for me to attempt some maturity, I do have an 8-year-old for crying out loud. So here it is...
I have to say that I am so impressed with Carter. Just before he turned eight, our primary had a meeting with all of the children who would be getting baptised this fall and their parents to go over everything that would be taking place. I was impressed on how much he paid attention. A couple of days later he asked, "The primary president said that it was my choice to get baptised. Is that true?" I told him, "Of course it is your choice. You do what you want to do. What do you want to do?" He replied, "I want to get baptised."
Over the next month, I was also impressed with the knowledge he has. His primary teachers are amazing, because, let's face it, I haven't been living up to my potential. They are amazing men! His one teacher sends all of the kids post-cards from his travels. They truly love these kids.
Now, I want to tell you about the actual night. There were FIVE kids just from my ward getting baptised. It was crazy! The whole chapel was filled with people coming to witness the children getting baptised. It was fortunate that there were people out of town, because there wouldn't have been any room for them to sit. Carter was in the second group of kids to be baptised so we had a few moments to talk and take pictures. During that time I really took notice of Carter. He is a nice kid. A really Nice kid. He doesn't care who the person is, he will be nice to them. My heart swelled as I watched him talk to other kids. He was so nervous and excited, yet he managed to pay attention and be nice to all of the kids that were there to get baptised or witness his baptism. The other thing that struck me that night was the actual baptism. Carter had a huge smile on his face as Ryan lowered him into the water. What else can I say? Pure joy and happiness as you become a member of the Lord's church. I was truly touched. It was a wonderful evening. Thank you to everyone, those who was able to attend and to those who weren't there in body, but were there in spirit. We Love You.

6 comments:

Lott said...

Tell Carter congratulations. He made such a wonderful decision. I love the baptism pic...where do you get your digital elements & what sofware do you use?

Crysty said...

Awwwwww....I got a little misty! Congratulations, Carter!

JaMie HeApS said...

i am such a boob abouth things too i tend to take the easy way out and laugh too for fear i ball my eyes out. way to go carter what a big day and decision you made.

Juliann said...

That's a really good family picture! Congrats to Carter!

jeannie said...

Congrats Carter! You are a nice kid and us Olsen's really love ya! I'm so glad that all went well at your special day!

Miranda said...

Congratulations to you all. It is such a special day to see your child as he plant's his own seed of testimony. As a Mom, I think it is one of the greatest joys. You must be doing a good job Mom!