Monday, September 8, 2008

Laptop woes

A couple of weeks ago, I went to shut my laptop when it made a weird grinding noise. I freaked! It took a little finessing, but I got it opened again. Phew! Well, I haven't shut it since for fear that it may totally break and I would lose my baby! (I know, a little dramatic but I have my life on that thing.) Soooo, Ryan took it to Geek Squad and they said that we needed a whole new screen and it would cost $500. Might as well get a new laptop for that! So Ryan brought it home and called around to see if he could get a part from somewhere for cheaper and do it himself. Now, I love my husband, but handy isn't his strong suit, so I wasn't thrilled about that option. He then asked someone who works for HP and they said it might just need a new hinge and that would be around $45, but he would have to look at it. Well, that wasn't happening! So, I took matters into my own hands today and took the laptop to a place to have it fixed. If it needed a new screen, it would be $220, not as bad as the first, but still not great. Rick (the repairman) said that a screw came out which couldn't be redone because it was stripped, but he could reinforce it a different way and make it more secure than it was before for $45. Now that is something I can deal with. I will be able to pick it up in the morning and then post pictures from my trip to Utah (I know you are dying to see them). Thanks, Rick! You're awesome!

6 comments:

Crysty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crysty said...

Whew....glad it's easily fixed! YAY for you for taking it to the right place! Let's get together, soon, wanna do a date night not this coming weekend, but the next? We could do it for the boys' birthdays!

Lott said...

It is scary how dependent we have become up on computers. It's so stressful when something goes wrong & for the $$ we pay, they should last a LONG time1 I'm glad your's won't be too expensive (except how much can a small piece of metal cost??)

jeannie said...

That is scary! Good work finding a fixer man! Yes excited for the pics! It was fun seeing ya!

JaMie HeApS said...

loook at you, you handy women you, im impressed!!!

Juliann said...

That's awesome!! You're smart not to let Ryan fix the laptop--that seams like a scary thought! :) So I don't know how to reply to the comments you left on my blog (i'm still learning this business) but I do appreciate your advice with the potty-training. I'm just glad I don't feel pressure to potty train him. I've atleast started, and so eventually when the right time hits, I'll go at it full swing again. I'll let you know how it goes.